Schoharie County NYGenWeb Site

A Brief History of the Town of Sharon

The Town of Sharon, called New Dorlach by its German Settlers, is located in the northwest corner of Schoharie County. From 1772 to 1795 it successively belonged to the counties of Tryon, Montgomery, and Otsego, before being joined into the new county of Schoharie in 1797.

The Village and the Springs lie in a ravine. They are nine hundred feet above the Mohawk Valley with pure air, magnificent views, natural scenery and a variety of rural life.

The Village of Sharon Springs was incorporated in 1871, bringing together the former hamlet of Rockville and the summer resort surrounding the Springs.

The name, Sharon Springs, comes from the mineral springs abounding in the area. Even the Indians are said to have recognized their curative powers. By the early 1800's the Springs had become world famous. Sharon Springs reached its peak as a health spa in the 1920's when it boasted nearly 60 hotels and rooming houses which accommodated over 10 thousand people.

The Mineral Springs of Sharon gush from the bed of a small brook and from a steep wooded slope on its margin. Within the space of a few rods are 5 different Springs. The three main Springs are a Sulphur Spring, Magnesia Spring, and a third contains elements considered valuable for the treatment of eye diseases.

Two major thoroughfares, the Great Western Turnpike - Rt.20 - and the Loonenberg Turnpike, now partially abandoned, serviced the area. Both were constructed in 1811. A spur of the Delaware and Hudson railroad ran through the village from Cobleskill to Cherry Valley from 1870 to 1956.

Welcome Page of the Schoharie County NYGenWeb Site
This page established January 13, 1997